Updated: Mar 26
(This post may contain referral links. Please read my disclaimer for more info.) As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Each of us has a different outcome we are hoping for when we consider changing our fitness, health and wellness habits. Whether your goal is to lose fat, to build muscle and tone your body, to learn to love the skin you are in, want to increase your confidence or are looking to increase your energy and vitality, here are some tips to help YOU reach your optimal health.
1. Move your body
· Exercise has incredible benefits for our physical and mental health. Movement is linked to every function and process in the body. Regular movement has the power to improve every part of your body, from your brain to your joints.
2. Strength train
· It is important that we focus on our muscular strength as we get older. As we age, we lose muscle mass. This loss of muscle can lead to age-related weight gain and can alter activity level and affect quality of life. Research shows that strength training can improve muscular function and strength at every age.
3. Drink water
· The body requires water to function optimally. Dehydration can lead to hunger and fatigue. Try to drink 8 cups of water each day to ensure your body has the fluid it needs for optimal health. It is easy to mistake dehydration for hunger. The next time you find yourself reaching for a snack, try having a big glass of water to see if it satisfies your hunger.
Read more about the Health Benefits of Drinking Water
4. Eat well
· A balanced diet consists of a variety of foods, with foods from all food groups, including protein, grains, dairy, and fruits and vegetables. The body and brain functions optimally when it is provided with raw, whole foods. Cooking from scratch at home helps ensure quality ingredients are used.
Rather than concentrating on what you need to REMOVE and what you CAN’T HAVE from your diet, focus on ADDING IN to your diet:
· Add in more lean protein
· Add in more vegetables
· Add in more water
· Add in more fruit
Download Hutton Health's free Meal Planner!
5. Prioritise sleep, rest and relaxation
· A recent report shows that 1 in 3 of us suffers from poor sleep quality. Stress and a poor work/life balance are contributing factors to our struggle to get good quality sleep. A lack of regular, quality sleep can increase your risk for a number of health conditions including:
-weakened immune system
-negative impact on our mental health
Most of us need 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
Find ways that are effective in helping you destress. Whether this is time reading a book, relaxing in the bathtub, a walk in nature, a phone call with a trusted friend or a quiet cup of tea, commit time for you to fill your tank.
6. Be more YOU
· Many of us spend a substantial amount of time comparing ourselves to others and striving to make other people happy. Commit to being your authentic self. Confidently show up as YOU without trying to copy someone else’s image or actions.
7. Practice gratitude
· Be grateful for all of the amazing things in your life rather than focusing on the things that you don’t have or can’t do. When you focus on the great things going on around you it helps attract more positivity in your life.
8. Be consistent
· Consistency is key. Try to avoid the cycle of ‘all or nothing’ and instead focus on consistently taking small action. The consequence of many small actions can be a big result!
The great news is that it is not too late to make a change! NOW is the perfect time to start, regardless of where you are currently at. Investing in a coach can help provide you the direction, motivation and accountability required to take positive action to improve your lifestyle and upgrade your health habits.